Air Fried Tandoori Chicken is a must-try recipe! It’s healthier and tastier than what you’d get at an Indian restaurant and it’s so easy to make! I marinate chicken legs in a creamy, well-spiced, yogurt-based marinade. and then cooked in an air fryer. Resulting in a tender and juicy chicken.
Tandoori chicken originated from the Mughlai cuisine & is one of the most popular chicken appetizers that stole the hearts of many across the globe. You can read more about that here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandoori_chicken
This recipe will give you soft, juicy, flavorful, and delicious grilled chicken with bursting flavor. Traditionally Tandoori Chicken is almost always made in a clay oven called tandoor. Since most of us don’t own a clay oven, with this recipe I cook it in an air fryer. You can even make it on the grill to mimic that same flavor. You can also use an oven.
a little about the tandoori chicken marinade
So tandoori chicken is all about the marinate. It’s the marinate that is a bit tangy from greek yogurt and the robust flavor all the spices add, is unbeatable. I am a spice fanatic and I add a lot of cayenne pepper for myself but it’s a totally optional ingredient. If you prefer the mild flavor, just skip the cayenne pepper. The traditional recipe uses food coloring but I don’t feel the need for artificial color since paprika and turmeric give a nice enough color to this dish.
This tandoori chicken recipe yields spicy chicken that is soft and juicy. Because these are spicy but not hot, my kids enjoy them as well. I don’t use any food coloring as the turmeric and paprika add a good enough color, making it healthy and delicious! You can serve it with naan, salad, or even grilled or roasted veggies. Tandoori Chicken pairs well with my cilantro mint chutney, click on the link for chutney recipe https://ketowithmona.com/2020/09/08/keto-smack-chicken-with-cilantro-mint-chutney/
How to make The Tandoori chicken marinade
How to cook the air fried tandoori chicken
Other air fryer recipes you may like
Air Fryer Malai Chicken Kebabs https://ketowithmona.com/2021/03/03/air-fryer-malai-chicken-kebabs/
Air Fryer Jerk Chicken https://ketowithmona.com/2020/09/07/keto-jerk-chicken/
Keto/ Low Carb/ Gluten-Free Air Fried Chicken https://ketowithmona.com/2021/01/17/keto-low-carb-gluten-free-air-fried-chicken/
Keto/ Low Carb Fries https://ketowithmona.com/2020/11/03/ket-low-carb-fries/
Air Fried Dry Rub Wings https://ketowithmona.com/2020/10/28/air-fried-dry-rub-chicken-wings/
follow me on my social media
Air Fried Tandoori Chicken
- Air Fryer https://amzn.to/39DuJNa
- 8 chicken legs or thighs or you can use a mix. Having the skin on makes for juicy chicken but you can use skinless chicken
- 2 tbsp full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp avocado oil https://amzn.to/3wUlG5g
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tbsp paprika https://amzn.to/3spvaSK
- 1 tsp cumin https://amzn.to/3wWqNSJ
- 1 tsp coriander https://amzn.to/3dpzgWQ
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional, skip it if you prefer milder flavor
- 1 tsp turmeric powder https://amzn.to/3n4t75D
- 1/2 tsp garam masala https://amzn.to/3uWM5h3
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper https://amzn.to/3ebVk66
- Himalayan salt to taste, https://amzn.to/3sq8z8o
- Pull the skin back and make slits on the chicken using a sharp knife and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the other ingredients and whisk together until you have a thick paste,
- Add the chicken and rub the marinade on the chicken really well, getting into all the cuts you made.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to up to 24 hours. The longer you leave the chicken to marinate, the better the flavor.
- Spray some nonstick cooking spray on the bottom of the air fryer and arrange the chicken.
- Spray the top with oil and cook at @370° F for 30-35 minutes, turning it halfway or until the chicken is done.
- You can also bake this chicken in a preheated oven at 450° F for 30-35 minutes.
- Another option is to grill on a gas or charcoal grill.
- Serve with a salad.