I love homemade spice blends because you can always adjust them to taste (making them less spicy, salty, more well seasoned with other spices, etc), and it’s the perfect shortcut or head start to simplify recipes. Store bought spice mixes are great but are often have a lot of fillers and sugar.
It really only takes a few minutes from start to finish, just gathering up each of the spices, measuring out and whisking everything together. Most of us almost always have these ingredients in our pantry. It is beyond simple to stir together this Mexican spice mix because it will save you time when you are cooking later. My family eats a lot of Mexican food and for years I have used my taco seasoning regularly in countless recipes. Since I stated keto way of eating, I have replaced sugar with keto friendly sweetener and omitted the corn starch I used. Still pretty darn tasty and my family has no idea. This is a great seasoning that you can add or subtract as much or as little of spices that you like.
Here are just a few ideas of different dishes to use taco seasoning in but the possibilities are endless:
- Taco salads
- Taco soup
- 7 layer dip
- Roasted vegetables
What will you need to make taco seasoning?
- Chili powder- for some added heat.
- Garlic powder- a good balance and adds a brighter flavor.
- Onion powder- adds a subtle onion flavor
- Crushed red pepper flakes– for added bold flavor, you can skip these if you like mild
- Dried oregano- because herbs make everything better
- Paprika- has a smokey flavor and helps color the taco seasoning.
- Ground cumin- lots of flavor with a little spice.
- Salt and Black pepper- an added taste to finish the seasoning.
- Sweetener– balances out the spices.
Keto/ Low carb/ gluten free Taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sweetener swerve, monk fruit or erythritol
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Himalyan salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, sweetener, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.
- Use as much as you like.
- Lasts or a very long time.