Thin slices of eggplant are coated in a herbaceous mix of Parmesan cheese and almond flour. Then either baked or fried and smothered with marinara sauce, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil. This will be the BEST Keto Eggplant Parmesan recipe you’ll ever try!
If you want to make the fried version, be mindful that it is going to add calories. So make sure to add the calories of olive oil if you are counting calories. Fry the eggplant in batches of about 4 at a time. Leave some breathing room around each slice to allow them to crisp up as well.
Keto/ Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 medium eggplants about 1 pounds total, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 cup almond flour https://amzn.to/36w0kjC
- 1/4 cup lupin flour https://amzn.to/3mZkCrx
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning https://amzn.to/2VylI16
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder https://amzn.to/33UBfxd
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt plus extra for sweating the eggplant https://amzn.to/36zLW9O
- 1/4 tsp freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups marinara sauce Rao’s or homemade https://amzn.to/36vw74b
- 1 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese divided, plus extra for serving if desired
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil Only if you are frying. Not needed for baked version
Sweating the eggplant
- Cut the top and bottom off of the eggplant and cut it into 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Line a large sheet pan with paper towels and place the eggplant rounds on the sheet in an even layer. Sprinkle evenly and generously with salt, then let the eggplant rounds rest for 30-60 minutes so that the sometimes-bitter liquids inside can sweat out. Transfer the eggplant rounds to a colander and rinse with cold water to remove the salt, then pat the eggplant dry with a clean paper towels.
- Prep the oven and baking sheet(s).
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
Bread the eggplant.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with 1 tablespoon water.
- Dip an eggplant round in the egg mixture so that is evenly coated on all sides.
- Transfer to the almond flour mixture and coat on all sides, then place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant rounds until they are all coated and evenly spaced on the baking sheet
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the eggplant is softened and mostly cooked through. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and set aside.
- Fry the eggplant in olive oil on both sides until golden brown. Remember this will add more calories.
Layer the eggplant Parmesan.
- Spread 1/4 cup marinara sauce evenly across the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Place half of the eggplant in an even layer along the bottom of the dish, topped evenly with 1/2 cup marinara sauce, 1/2 cup Mozzarella,1/4 cup Parmesan, and half of the basil.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant, remaining marinara sauce, and the remaining Mozzarella.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and starts to turn slightly golden around the edges and the eggplant is cooked.
- Transfer pan to a wire cooling rack and sprinkle with the remaining basil and extra Parmesan.