What can I say about this post? I’m really not sure. As being a long time ketoer, I gave up on fries a long time ago. Or should I say fries are my “cheat meal” once in a while. Why? Because nothing tastes like fries, ABSOF****INGLOUTELY NOTHING! I’ve tries jicama, rutabaga, radish, and everything in between but nothing tastes like fries. Yes we can pretend and eat them but nope, they do not taste like fries.
So I recently came across a video of keto fries & of course I had to try it. And I did & yes it tasted pretty close to fries. So the credit to this recipe with all due respect and much love and thanks goes to Heavenly Fan on YouTube. She has amazing vegan keto recipes, so please check her out.
Back to I tried the recipe. It was great as she only uses flour and xanthan gum, fries it and adds salt. For me it was lacking flavor and also it was a bit crumbly, so I played around with the recipe and here’s my tweaked up version of fries that are pretty awesome. Crispy on the outside & fluffy on the inside, these keto/ low carb fries are everything you’ve been missing.
My kids and I prefer the fried version over air fried. Air fried ones come out more of a bread stick texture which is awesome as well but we loved the fried ones. Guess how many were left for me when I made this video? I’ll give you a hint, it rhymes with hero lol
Keto/ Low Carb Fries
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt plus more for sprinkling the top
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- avocado or coconut oil for frying
- Add the almond flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, & baking powder in a food processor and mix.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot water and mix for 1 minute, or until the mixture looks like a dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to about 1/4 in thickness.
- Cut in to strips using a pizza cutter.
- Shallow fry in avocado oil or coconut oil on medium low heat till lightly golden.
- Remove from oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Or air fry at 400 F for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup or any sauce of choice.