One of my most favorites dishes of all time is butter chicken. The spicy, savory, a hint of sweet & sour is unmatched. It is one thing that I ketofied as soon as i started keto because I could not imagine never eating it. Swapping just a couple of ingredients didn’t even make a difference in flavor. My family never even realized that they were eating my ketofied version.
Now usually butter chicken is served with rice and delicious naan. So cauliflower rice and if I am feeling fancy, I’ll make some keto naan or tortillas. This recipe is really easy. Trick is to cook the chicken in the air fryer and make the gravy while it’s cooking. It tastes really good if you marinate the chicken overnight but it isn’t necessary. It still tastes amazing even if you don’t have time to marinate.
Keto Butter Chicken
For marinating chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 2 tablespoons full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 drops orange food coloring optional
For the gravy
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4-6 whole cloves
- 4-6 cardamom
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 serrano pepper sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- salt to taste
- Mix all the marinate ingredients plus 1-2 tablespoons of water, in a large bowl.
- Add cubed boneless skinless chicken thighs, mix well until all of the chicken pieces are coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes to over night.
- Bake, grill or air fry the chicken pieces.
- Cook at 370 F in an air fryer for 20 minutes and make the gravy while the chicken is cooking.
- Or bake at 450 F for 25-30 minutes or grill until the chicken is a little charred.
- While the chicken is cooking, add butter to a pot.
- Melt the butter, and add the whole spices (cloves, cardamom, & cinnamon).
- Cook for 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onions and saute fpr 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced Serrano pepper and 1/2 teaspoon ginger. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomato paste, paprika, and coriander. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cream and mix until you have a creamy gravy.
- Add the lemon juice, sweetener, fenugreek leaves, salt and cilantro. Mix and turn off the flame.
- Mix in the cooked chicken and serve with cauliflower rice & salad.
- I love to make some of my low carb tortillas with it as well, here's the recipe https://ketowithmona.com/2020/09/07/grain-free-gluten-free-clean-keto-tortillas1-2g-net-carbs/