If I had to list some of my favorite things about fall, soup would be one of them. I mean, fall foods, in general, are my favorites, but soup is definitely the top one on my list. Super rich, savory and satisfying… this easy keto/ low carb cream of mushroom soup is pure comfort in a bowl! My recipe calls for a couple pounds of cremini and white button mushrooms. Don’t have both? Either will do, though I love cremini (young portobello mushrooms) because they are a little tastier and add a deeper flavor to this soup.
So if you love mushrooms (like I do) you are going to LOVE this soup. It’s chock-full of fresh mushrooms in a rich, savory and creamy broth. The best part is that it’s ready in under 40 minutes and you can customize it to your preference.
- Add shredded rotisserie chicken for extra protein.
- For a richer soup, swap the chicken broth, for beef stock or bone broth.
- For a lighter soup (or a vegetarian version), swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- For a dairy-free version, omit the cream cheese and swap the heavy cream with coconut milk
- Top it with bacon bits for epic deliciousness.
keto/ Low Carb/ Gluten Free Mushroom Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs mushrooms sliced, I use a mix of white button and crimini
- 2 tsp fresh thyme chopped & divided
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum https://amzn.to/2J58gyX
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 oz cream cheese softened, omit for dairy free version
- 1 cup heavy cream omit for dairy free and swap with canned coconut milk
- Freshly cracked pepper & fresh thyme to garnish
- Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until melted.
- Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Add sat, pepper, & 2 tsp thyme .
- Add the broth, and xanthan gum.
- Whisk until the xanthan gum is fully incorporated and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium heat.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, while occasionally stirring.
- Whisk in the softened cream cheese.
- Add in the heavy cream & turn the flame off. . Adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
- I like to serve it with bits of bacon , cracked pepper, & extra fresh thyme.
- I often make it into a meal by adding some rotisserie chicken.
- This soup will stay in the fridge for up to a week. Great do ahead if you’re planning on making some green bean casserole for Thanksgiving, perhaps.
- I have never had leftovers so I have never frozen it.