When you’re craving comfort food, homemade chicken used be the answer, but gone are those days now that you’re following keto/low carb way of eating. Not True!! I will rephrase myself…..
If you’re craving comfort food, perhaps a homemade chicken pot pie, then you’ve come to the right page. My recipe uses a buttery, flakey crust layered with a creamy delicious mixture of chicken, mushrooms, onions, peppers, celery stalks, and very small amount of peas and carrots. (totally optional, you can skip them if you’re strict keto).
This recipe is a part of my challenge I have put on my facebook page. I tried making it the traditional way but first of all the bottom crust becomes soggy, even after precooking it. Second, the carb count goes higher as well. It worked well with leaving the filling in the cast iron skillet and topping with the crust. So Tawni Darling here’s the recipe you requested, hope it satisfies you!
I know the title of this post reads Chicken Pot Pie, but you can make it into a Turkey Pot Pie as well. Soon we will all have leftover Thanksgiving turkey in our fridge to use up! This chicken pot pie recipe works great with chicken or turkey and why not put that turkey to good use by making a delicious pot pie for dinner?
Chicken pot pie is the best kind of comfort food ever existed!
Keto Chicken Pot Pie
To make the pastry dough
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs medium
- 4 oz cream cheese cold and cut into cubes
- 4 oz butter cold and cut into cubes
To make the filling
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup broccoli stalks chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp parsley dried
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 lb chicken cooked and shredded
- 2 tbsp carrots chopped. Optional
- 2 tbsp peas chopped. Optional
- egg wash to brush on top
- In a food processor, add the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, xanthan gum, baking powder, and eggs. Process until everything is mixed.
- Add the cold and cubed butter and cream cheese. Process on pulse setting just until mixed through. Do not over mix.
- Put the pastry dough onto a parchment paper , fold it and place it in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Add onions and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, broccoli stalks, and mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and all the spices. Taste and adjust salt.
- Add 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 oz cream cheese at room temperature & mix.
- Whisk in the xanthan gum.
- Add the cooked and shredded chicken, peas, and carrots if using.
- Turn the flame off.
- Roll out the pastry dough between two sheets pf parchment paper.
- Place the rolled pastry on top of the skillet, you can use a pie dish if you prefer.
- Brush the top with egg wash and bake at 350 F for 27-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving