Cheesy empanadas are one of those things that I just can’t resist. Crispy, beefy, cheesy , so flavorful. Problem with them is the pastry. The dough is made with flour and flour is a big no no.
This recipe uses fat head dough that’s prepared just a little differently. You have to cook the dough in a pan. Constantly mixing and spreading until it becomes smooth.
You also must work with warm dough because as it cools it tends to crack. So cook the dough and work while it’s still hot/warm.
Do not overfill the empanadas. If you have some beef mixture leftover, sprinkle it on a salad with cheese and sour cream, but do not overfill. You will end up with leaked and broken mess.
Keto Cheesy Beef Empanadas
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEEF FILLING:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 10 oz ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapeños
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 8 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- 8 tablespoons shredded cheddar
- egg wash
- chopped cilantro and scallion for garnish
INGREDIENTS FOR DOUGH:
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 10 oz mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
Prepare the filling first.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the chopped onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes and the garlic. Sauté for another minute.
- Add the ground beef and quickly break and cook on high heat until browned.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for one minute.
- Add all the spices and cook for one minute to get rid of raw taste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and pickled jalapeños. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped cilantro, remove from heat and set aside while preparing the dough.
Make the dough.
- Whisk the almond flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Cut the mozzarella into small chunks and add to a large pan. Melt the cheese on medium low heat.
- Once the mozzarella is melted, add the cream cheese and keep mixing until fully incorporated.
- Add the almond flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time making sure to mix well and incorporate well before adding more.
- Once all the flour is mixed, beat and add two eggs, make sure to mix quickly and vigorously so they incorporate well.
- Once the eggs are done, turn the heat off and divide the dough into 8 portions using a spatula.
Fill & Bake.
- Turn the oven on to 350°F.
- Roll each section of the dough between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Fill one half with the beef and top with both cheeses.
- Fold the other half over to make a half moon.
- Seal the edges by pressing with your finger, then a fork.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with cilantro and scallions.
- Serve with sour cream.
- These empanadas freeze really well. You can freeze individually and then in a freezer bag. They make a great grab ad go lunch.