These kebabs are so easy to make and so flavorful. Making them in the air fryer makes cooking and cleanup a pinch!
One of my favorite food is kebabs, I mean anything on a stick instantly becomes fancy and more appetizing. If you have a grill, the probability is that you have made some version of chicken kababs. The word malai translates to cream. Kebabs are a staple in our cuisine, and there are so many different variations. These kabobs are all about the marinade. The traditional recipe usually has some gram flour added to it but my recipe is free of any type of flours or starches, making it low in carbs.
The easiest way to make these is in the air fryer. Cooking and cleanup are super easy this way but you can cook them any way you like. Traditionally these would be made on a charcoal grill, and I do love that flavor that you can only get from charcoal grilling. But it’s cold out and that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy my favorite food. You can also bake, broil or grill them on an indoor grill.
The ingredients may seem unusual to you but trust me, the end result are juicy and flavorful kebobs. I marinate the chicken pieces in a mixture of garlic, ginger, jalapeño, mint, cilantro, shredded mozzarella, heavy cream, and full fat greek yogurt. I only use cumin, salt and pepper to spice it up. Yes I know what you’re thinking. But trust me, this combination is bomb. So are you up for indulging in the best kebobs made in the air fryer?
Air Fryer Malai Chicken Kebabs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 Jalapeño remove the seeds for mild
- 2 tbsp mint leaves
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt I use Fage 4%. It’s the lowest in carbs
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or any oil of choice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lbs boneless skinless chicken thigh or breast if you prefer
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- non stick cooking spray to prevent sticking, it also helps the chicken brown
- Blend the garlic, ginger, jalapeño, mint leaves, cilantro, mozzarella cheese, heavy cream, Greek yogurt, lime juice, and avocado oil in a blender.
- Cut the boneless skinless chicken thighs into cubes.
- Pour the marinade over chicken, add salt, pepper, and cumin. Mix, cover and set aside for 20 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the air fryer at 370° F for 5 minutes.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers and air fry for 8-9 minutes, then turn the skewers and cook for additional 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- If you don’t want to use an air fryer, you can bake these on a baking tray lined with parchment in preheated oven at 475° F until golden. Or grill on and indoor or outdoor grill.
- Serve with a side salad and my cilantro mint chutney.
- Click on this link the chutney recipe, also makes a great salad dressing https://ketowithmona.com/2020/09/08/keto-smack-chicken-with-cilantro-mint-chutney/