This Keto/ Low Carb Thai Curry Soup with Shrimp is packed with flavor thanks to the combination of curry paste, fresh lemongrass, fresh ginger, coconut milk, hearty shiitake mushrooms, bell pepper, shrimp and lime.
I am obsessed with Thai food, there’s something about that sweet, tangy, spicy and salty combination that gets me every time. Thai Curry Soup has to be on top of the list. Nothing better on a cold winter night, it’s actually snowing out today and I can’t think of a better way to warm me up. Rich and creamy yet tangy and salty, perfectly balance. This low carb version of Thai Curry Soup is filling but light and bursting with flavor.
This one is a family favorite. You can customize the flavor to your liking by adding more curry paste, I wouldn’t recommend using less though. I use 2 tablespoons in mine because I the hotter the better lol. Use full fat canned coconut milk, it makes the soup rich and creamy and also adds a great amount of fat. I get my curry paste from my local asian mart (lucky living in NY). It adds a delicious flavor profile that can’t be matched. If you don’t have any Asian markets near you, I added a link to Amazon for the one I use in the recipe card. Fresh ginger, lemon grass, lime, and cilantro take this soup to the next level. Either remove the lemongrass after simmering for 15 minutes or mince it really fine, so you don’t have to strain it. I love mine with shrimp but you can add other vegetables to make this vegetarian (there’s vegetarian curry paste available), or you can add sauted or shredded cooked chicken as well.
Keto/ Low Carb Thai Curry Soup With Shrimp
- dutch oven https://amzn.to/39bzBcd
- 1 tbsp avocado oil https://amzn.to/3k0texn
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 stalk lemongrass chopped, or finely minced if you don't want to remove it
- 1 tsp red curry paste use more for extra kick https://amzn.to/2ZqmAal
- 3 cups bone or chicken broth https://amzn.to/3qxCPhF
- 1 tbsp fish sauce https://amzn.to/2M2tfUV
- 1 tbsp golden sweetener https://amzn.to/3dw4Gv7
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 6 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper diced
- 16 oz large shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 1 fresh lime juice d
- Himalayan salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste in the oil and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour the broth over the mixture.
- Stir in the fish sauce and golden sweetener. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lemon grass using a strainer.
- Stir in the coconut milk, mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent about 3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the salt.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve with extra cilantro and lime wedges.