My Keto/ Low Carb/ Gluten-Free Spicy Fried Chicken recipe is crunchy and crusty on the outside and juicy and flavorful on the inside; infused with spices and seasonings to amp up the flavor. So low in carbs that they don’t even count. This one’s definitely going to be a great addition to your keto chicken recipe collection!
When it comes to the flour mixture, I use lupin flour and flavorless protein powder. I linked my favorite one in the recipe card. Also if you’ve tried my recipes before, you know I don’t skimp on the spice and seasonings. You can keep it simple with just salt and pepper but I like to go the extra mile for that ultra flavorful crust during your first bite.
This Spicy Fried Chicken will be your go-to chicken recipe as it is brimming with flavors, plus a lovely texture. Indeed, a total crowd-pleaser. You can bake it, deep fry it or my favorite, air fry it. Resting the chicken after the dredging helps the coating to stick, so don’t skip that. I like to lightly brush the coated chicken with avocado oil, because it helps the coating crisp up and give a nice golden color.
Keto/ Low Carb/ Gluten-Free Air Fried Spicy “Fried” Chicken legs
- 6 chicken legs
- 2 tblsp avocado oil https://amzn.to/3qzH5wR
For the spice mix
- 1 tsp onion powder https://amzn.to/2XR75qW
- 1 tsp garlic powder https://amzn.to/2N59Dj6
- 1/2 tsp paprika https://amzn.to/3isR5F9
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper use less for mild or more if you like spicy
- 1 tsp thyme https://amzn.to/2KnOYpv
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard https://amzn.to/3sIxdCO
- 1/4 tsp pepper https://amzn.to/39V0uSf
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt https://amzn.to/3iiG7lC
- Whisk all the spice mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle some of the spice mix on the chicken legs and set aside. You can even marinate the chicken overnight but it is not necessary.
- Whisk the eggs with about 1/4 teaspoon of the spice mix.
- Mix the protein powder and lupin flour in a bowl. Add the rest of the spice mix and mix well. Use less spice mix if you prefer mild.
- Coat the chicken in the flour, then egg and the the flour mix once again.
- Arrange on a baking tray with a rack and rest 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, brush the chicken with the avocado oil.
- Transfer the chicken in to the basket of an air fryer and cook at 370° F for 30 minutes, turning once mid way.
- Or bake the chicken at 350° for 45-50 minutes.
- You can also deep fry the chicken but that will make the calories go up.
- Serve with sugar free ketchup and a nice green salad.