My Keto/ Low Carb/ Gluten-Free Spicy Fried Chicken recipe is crunchy and crusty on the outside and juicy and flavorful on the inside; infused with spices and seasonings to amp up the flavor. So low in carbs that they don’t even count. This one’s definitely going to be a great addition to your keto chicken recipe collection!
When it comes to the flour mixture, I use lupin flour and flavorless protein powder. I linked my favorite one in the recipe card. Also if you’ve tried my recipes before, you know I don’t skimp on the spice and seasonings. You can keep it simple with just salt and pepper but I like to go the extra mile for that ultra flavorful crust during your first bite.
This Spicy Fried Chicken will be your go-to chicken recipe as it is brimming with flavors, plus a lovely texture. Indeed, a total crowd-pleaser. You can bake it, deep fry it or my favorite, air fry it. Resting the chicken after the dredging helps the coating to stick, so don’t skip that. I like to lightly brush the coated chicken with avocado oil, because it helps the coating crisp up and give a nice golden color.
Keto/ Low Carb/ Gluten-Free Air Fried Spicy “Fried” Chicken legs
- Air Fryer https://amzn.to/39DuJNa
- baking tray with rack https://amzn.to/3nUeal4
- 6 chicken legs
- 2 tblsp avocado oil https://amzn.to/3qzH5wR
For the spice mix
- 1 tsp onion powder https://amzn.to/2XR75qW
- 1 tsp garlic powder https://amzn.to/2N59Dj6
- 1/2 tsp paprika https://amzn.to/3isR5F9
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper use less for mild or more if you like spicy
- 1 tsp thyme https://amzn.to/2KnOYpv
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard https://amzn.to/3sIxdCO
- 1/4 tsp pepper https://amzn.to/39V0uSf
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt https://amzn.to/3iiG7lC
For the batter
- 1/4 cup flavorless protein powder https://amzn.to/3oUVtiv
- 1/4 cup lupin flour https://amzn.to/3qxQIft
- 2 eggs
- Whisk all the spice mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle some of the spice mix on the chicken legs and set aside. You can even marinate the chicken overnight but it is not necessary.
- Whisk the eggs with about 1/4 teaspoon of the spice mix.
- Mix the protein powder and lupin flour in a bowl. Add the rest of the spice mix and mix well. Use less spice mix if you prefer mild.
- Coat the chicken in the flour, then egg and the the flour mix once again.
- Arrange on a baking tray with a rack and rest 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, brush the chicken with the avocado oil.
- Transfer the chicken in to the basket of an air fryer and cook at 370° F for 30 minutes, turning once mid way.
- Or bake the chicken at 350° for 45-50 minutes.
- You can also deep fry the chicken but that will make the calories go up.
- Serve with sugar free ketchup and a nice green salad.
7 thoughts on “Keto/ Low Carb/ Gluten-Free Air Fried Chicken”
The nutrition data seems off on this – there is more fiber listed than carbohydrate, which isn’t possible.
Could you confirm whether those numbers should have been switch or…?
Hi, I use MyFitnessPal to add nutritional information. I have added an image of the exact information for you.
Could you use collagen instead of protein powder?
Sorry, but collagen won’t work.
Thank you Mona for this amazing recipe!
You’re welcome, so glad you enjoyed it
Thank you so much for this recipe!! I have to eat gluten free, and my family accepts that what I serve is all gluten free. They were really missing fried chicken though, and I was so thrilled to find this recipe…especially because I wanted to air fry, not deep fry! My family actually tells me, every time I make this, that they like this chicken BETTER than the deep fried (non-GF) chicken they were used to!