I love shrimp, so I am always looking for ways to serve shrimp appetizers during the holidays. I think these bacon wrapped shrimp are perfect for any get together, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, game day or any party. This bacon wrapped shrimp recipe is the appetizer you need for any occasion. Simple, delicious, and so much fun. You can’t go wrong with savory and sweet shrimp wrapped in bacon. They’re perfect bit sized portions, so your guests can just grab, dip, and devour.
There are recipes that call for wrapping the shrimp with raw bacon, but in my experience, only the surface of the bacon gets cooked that way and it lacks the crispy texture. Bacon can take up to 30 minutes to fully cook in the oven. Which doesn’t work well with fast-cooking shrimp at 15 minutes or less. So to prevent flabby bacon, par-cooking is crucial. I cut the bacon slices in half and cook at 400ºF on a wire rack. The bacon roasts until it begins to turn slightly red in color while still pliable. You want to make sure not to cook the bacon until it’s fully crispy, just enough to render some of the fat and partially cook. Keeping flexibility is very important for wrapping the bacon around the shrimp.
I like to leave the tails on for a pretty presentation. Make sure to use regular cuts of bacon because thick cut bacon will need longer time to cook and won’t be as pretty. Try this recipe with scallops, chunks of fish, like halibut or mahi mahi. This par-cooking technique is great for bacon-wrapping just about any food.
Though these shrimp are perfect on their own as a party snack, you can have them with side dishes as a main course as well. I like to serve my bacon wrapped shrimp over garlicky and buttery mashed cauliflower, or zoodles in cream sauce. I also add a green vegetable on the side such as broccoli, asparagus, spinach or green beans. Makes a perfect meal. It’s super low carb and full on flavor. No matter how you choose to serve them, I’m sure you’re going to love them.
Keto/ Low Carb/ Sugar-Free Sticky Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Baking sheet https://amzn.to/3lHCZk6
- cooling rack https://amzn.to/3lzAFKW
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt I use this https://amzn.to/37qz5WM
- 1/4 tsp chili powder I use this https://amzn.to/3fPYahI
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika I use this https://amzn.to/3liCjk8
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder I use this https://amzn.to/3msnKvJ
- 1/4 tsp onion powder I use this https://amzn.to/2JniFXh
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 lb large shrimp 16/20 count cleaned and deveined. Shell off but keep the tails on
- 12 oz bacon cut in half
- 1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup I use this https://amzn.to/2Jv9bJm
- 1/4 cup sugar free honey https://amzn.to/2VhMPNR I use this https://amzn.to/2VhMPNR
- 1/4 cup sugar free BBQ sauce I use this https://amzn.to/3ohabQt
- green parts of scallions for garnish
- Set the oven rack to the center position. Preheat to 400ºF.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, black pepper, and chili powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add shrimp and stir to combine. Allow it to marinate for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Cut bacon strips in half, about 4 to 5 inches in length.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top. Place the cut strips of bacon on the rack.
- Roast until the bacon just begins to shrink and turn slight red in color, about 6 minutes. The bacon should be pliable and not completely cooked or crispy.
- Allow the bacon to cool slightly until it’s easy to handle because you will be using your hands.
- Wrap each piece of shrimp with the par-cooked bacon strips, insert a toothpick to secure the wrap.
- Arrange the shrimp in a single layer on the same pan with wire rack used to cook the bacon. Roast for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and change the oven to the high broil setting.
- Carefully flip the shrimp over and then brush each piece with half of the sugar free maple syrup, sugar free honey or sugar free bbq sauce. Roast the shrimp for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven, flip one last time and brush the shrimp with the remaining sugar free maple syrup, sugar free honey, or sugar free bbq sauce.
- Broil until the bacon is deep red in color and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with scallion greens.
- Serve with my Remoulade sauce, recipe here: https://ketowithmona.com/2020/12/01/keto-low-carb-remoulade-sauce/
One thought on “Keto/ Low Carb/ Sugar free Sticky Bacon Wrapped Shrimp”