This Strawberry Cake tastes and looks like a fancy bakery cake, but is keto/ low carb/ sugar free and gluten free. A delicate vanilla cake frosted with a luscious strawberry whipped cream.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto friendly birthday cake for ages now. I keep putting it off, but decided to ask my followers if they would want me to do a video. One follower said that it’s her birthday this Friday and she’d love to make it. So here I am using my trusty vanilla cake recipe and strawberry whipped cream that I’ve been making for over a decade. Now, this cake may look fancy, but I promise you, it is super easy to make and incredibly delicious! You don’t have to make it look pretty if you don’t want to. So go ahead and bake yourself or a loved one a birthday, graduation or any day cake.
If you just want to make this cake gluten free and not sugar free, just use regular sugar in replacement of Sweetener. I love using Wilton bake even strips on my cake pans. It keeps the cakes level and the sides are never hard. It isn’t necessary but it’s one investment that’ll be your favorite thing ever!
Make sure to scrap the sides a lot!
Keto/ Low Carb/ Gluten Free Vanilla Cake With Strawberry Frosting
Ingredients for the cake
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour https://amzn.to/32tFVcz
- 1/2 cup coconut flour https://amzn.to/32tFQFN
- 2 tsp baking powder https://amzn.to/2Ue4Wnk
- 1/4 tsp salt https://amzn.to/35lDScu
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sweetener of choice https://amzn.to/3kjjT28
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk, coconut milk or you can use any milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract https://amzn.to/3kk5p27
For the frosting
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 1 cup powdered sweetener https://amzn.to/3kjjT28
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin https://amzn.to/2Ucyx0J
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla https://amzn.to/3kk5p27
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream
- 1 oz freeze dried strawberries make into powder using food processor. https://amzn.to/3lqL3FW
To make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line three 6-inch pans or two 8-inch pans with parchment/baking paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add your almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt and mix well. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream your butter and sweetener until fluffy, around 8 minutes. Add the eggs in, one at a time, and beat well until fully incorporated. Make sure to scrape the sides after adding each egg. Add the milk and vanilla extract until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat until creamy.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the three or two cake pans, and smoothen out the tops. Bake for around 22-25 minutes for 8 inch pans And 30- 32 minutes for 6 inch pans or until a skewer comes out clean. I use 6 inch pans. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
To make the frosting.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let bloom for 5 minutes.
- Melt gelatin for 5 seconds in the microwave. If not fully melted do another 3 seconds. You can tell gelatin is melted when there are no granules of unmelted gelatin visible.
- After dissolving the gelatin, add in 1 tsp of heavy cream and mix. If the gelatin is too cold, heat again until it’s melted (5 seconds).
- In a cold mixing bowl, add the whipping cream, powdered sweetener, & the strawberry powder. Start whipping on medium speed until its foamy.
- Continue mixing on medium speed until you reach very soft peaks, barely holding their shape.
- Turn the mixer down to low and drizzle in the gelatin. Scrape the sides. Continue mixing on medium speed until the peaks are firm and holding their shape but don't over-mix to the point when the whipped cream starts to look chunky or begins turning into butter.
Frost the cake
- Put a small dab of cream on a cake board or a serving dish.
- Place one layer of cake and spread some of the whipped cream. Repeat with the other two layers.
- Frost the sides and top of the cake. I highly recommend you watch the video below.
- Decorate the cake with fresh strawberries.