There really is no other recipe that screams comfort food quite like chicken and dumplings. Flat and yummy strips of dough simmered in delicious broth and tender chicken. I am salivating just thinking about it.
Fast forward to keto life, No chicken and dumplings for me. Each time I made them for my family, I dread a little. I have tried and failed many times trying to make the perfect dumplings. My first approach was almond flour fathead dough. Its great but didn’t work too well in the hot liquid. I figured that almond flour just doesn’t hold and gets too gritty. Coconut flour mixed with Xanthan gum works beautifully. Keep in mind that we are still using mozzarella cheese so we can’t cook the dumplings for too long. They literally take a minute or two to cook. Cook them for longer and you will end up with a mess.
This is the easiest and quickest way to make chicken and dumplings. All you need is some homemade or store bought chicken broth that has no added sugar. cooked and shredded chicken, leftover rotisserie chicken perhaps, and the coconut flour fathead dough. You can add vegetables if you like but I like it simple. Maybe because that’s how I’ve always made them. also because it’s going to keep the carbs super low. Add a side salad if you want. For me though, give me just chicken and dumplings and I’m happy. This meal will warm up and comfort any soul on a cold winter’s day!
Some people like dark meat with their dumplings, some like a combination of white and dark. Chicken thighs would work great for this as well. Go with whatever you like here. I like to use a store-bought rotisserie chicken and pull the meat off the bone and shred it. This is my favorite way because it makes dinner so much easier and faster. Dinner will be on the table within 30 minutes. Serve with freshly cracked black pepper & parsley. I enjoy everything with a little kick so I love adding some crushed red pepper flakes. It also looks prettier! Go ahead add any vegetables you like in there.
Copycat Cracker Barrel Keto/ Low Carb Chicken & Dumplings
- dutch oven
For the soup
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs cooked & shredded, leftover rotisserie chicken works perfectly for this recipe. I like using dark meat & chicken breast.
- 4 cups chicken broth look for something that has no added sugar. Kettle & Fire or homemade are the best
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum I like thick soup, you can skip it if you prefer
- 1 cup heavy cream
for the dumplings
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup coconut flour sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons on top of the dumplings while you make the soup.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder optional
- 1/4 tsp onion powder optional
- Melt the cheese in a microwave, it takes 30-60 seconds.
- While the cheese is in the microwave, whisk the egg yolks, baking powder, xanthan gum, garlic powder, & onion powder together. Onion & garlic powder are optional. I like to use them to kind of mask the coconut flavor.
- Pour this mixture on top of the melted cheese and mix.
- Add in the coconut flour and knead the dough. You may have to moisten your hands a couple of times.
- You should end up with nice dough ball. (please watch the instructional video if necessary)
- Put the chicken broth in to a dutch oven and bring to a simmer.Cut the dough into strips using a pizza cutter.
- Place the dough between two parchment papers and roll into 12-14 inch round.
- Add the xanthan gum on top of the broth and whisk vigorously for 1 minute.
- Add the spices and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and the dumplings.
- Make sure to taste the soup before adding the dumplings.
- Add the heavy cream.
- Cook the dumplings for no more than 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately.
- Sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper, parsley and if you're like me, then throw on some crushed pepper flakes. #spiceislife
- Leftovers heat up wonderfully but I haven’t gotten a chance to r freeze it.