Whether it’s a game night, a party, the holidays, or just Taco night. Queso is a must in my house. I love everything spicy so it’s only natural that my kids love it too. They grew up with sriracha in their bottle. Not kidding, I have a picture of my sister feeding my little one Zahra if anyone needs proof lol. Hmmm maybe that’s why she’s so sassy. Alright, I totally went off topic there. Back to this delicious queso.
This recipe makes delicious chunky, cheesy, and spicy Queso that’s a hit at every party. Though in most recipes Queso is mostly cheese and seasonings, it’s the milk and flour or corn starch usually are the culprits that add sneaky carbs. This recipe is simple and easy. No one even notices that it’s keto. This recipe is actually so much tastier because there are no fillers. Heavy cream acts as thickener. You can always add a little more if it seems too thick.
Works really well for parties because you can serve others with regular tortilla chips and have veggies and low carb chips or crackers for yourself. I love a dollop of this on my burritos as well. Adds a kick.
It keeps well in a jar in the fridge for two weeks, though I guarantee it won’t last that long lol. just reheat gently on low flame or carefully in the microwave.
Keto/ Low Carb Queso (Mexican Dip)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 scallions sliced greens and whites divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno chopped optional
- 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp granulsted onion
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- 8 oz cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 4 jalapenos charred on the stove or under a broiler. you can also used canned chiles.
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- salt to taste
- Place 4 jalapenos firectly on the flame of your stove to fire roast them until charred. Remove the skin and seeds and chop.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the white parts of the scallions and saute for one minute.
- Add the minced garlic, saute for 15 seconds and add the chopped jalapeno along with the chopped tomatoes.
- Pour in the heavy cream and add all the spices except salt.
- Whisk well and let it come to a gentle simmer.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cheddar cheese a handful at a time and mix until melted.
- Taste and adjust salt.
- Make sure the heat is very low or this can split.
- Add in the fire roasted jalpenos, greens of the scallions, and chopped cilantro.
- Mix everything and serve with your favorite vegetables and chips.
- I love to eat these with my keto crackers. you can find the recipe here.https://ketowithmona.com/2020/09/08/easy-keto-nacho-crackers/