Oh the sweet, sticky, savory and tangy chicken teriyaki. Just thinking about it makes me happy. But the issue is that teriyaki is loaded with sugar. So of course when following a ketogenic way of life, you’ll naturally think that something off limits.
Not really, not today! Because this recipe is not only sugar free it’s so tasty that you’ll wonder why you ever ate that sugary stuff.
You can use xylitol, erythritol, swerve, monk fruit or any other keto friendly sweetener you like. If you are making a sauce that you pan to keep for later use though, I suggest using xylitol because it doesn’t crystallize like other sweeteners. But if you have pets, keep in mind that xylitol is toxic for them. So either don’t use it or make sure they don’t get to your xylitol sweetened food.
So give this recipe a try and I’m sure you will be hooked.
Keto Teriyaki Chicken
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to season the chicken
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoons coconut oil
- sesame seeds and scallions for garnish
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons xylitol or monk fruit, Swerve, Erythritol
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Prepare the sauce by adding all the sauce ingredients to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and set aside.
- In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Season the chicken with a small amount of salt and pepper. Fry the chicken skin side down. Brown and flip. Cook till lightly browned and no longer pink inside.
- Remove excess fat from the skillet and add the 2 garlic cloves, pressed.
- Let sit for a few seconds then stir fry the chicken for a minute with the garlic.
- Add the prepared teriyaki sauce and turn the heat off.
- Serve immediately with steamed broccoli and cauliflower rice.