Soups are an essential winter meal in my house. Nothing’s better than a hot bowl of soup to warm up your soul. Though there are many but when it comes to picking our most favorite soup, this keto version of broccoli cheddar soup is number 1. My kids love it because of it’s creamy texture and cheesy flavor, and I love the fact that it’s loaded with a ton of nutritious veggies.This creamy velvety soup is so much healthier than Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup and takes just 30 minutes to make for a fraction of the carbs.
This broccoli cheddar soup is sort of a copycat recipe from Panera Bread Though I haven’t had that soup from there in years, I can promise you this soup will surely please the pickiest critic. My keto version of broccoli cheddar soup is packed with broccoli, garlic, and cheese. Omitting the roux cuts the carbs way back and using bone broth adds ton of nutrition. It truly is a winner!
Keto Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups low sodium bone broth or chicken stock
- 3 cups broccoli florets or 1 large head cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp mustard regular or spicy
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg optional
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Xanthan gum
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz block grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups mild, medium, or sharp
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Add the butter to dutch oven and heat over MED heat. Add chopped onion and saute until onions are soft and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour in the bone broth. Add the broccoli, mustard, paprika, nutmeg, and pepper, stir and cover with a lid.
- Reduce heat to LOW/MED LOW and simmer about 10 minutes or until broccoli is fork tender.
- Add one cup of cream.
- Sprinkle Xanthan gum and blend soup until desired texture is reached, using either immersion blender or by transferring soup to traditional blender.
- Turn the heat off.
- Add grated cheddar cheese a handful at a time, stirring to melt the cheese into the soup after each handful. Taste soup and add salt if needed.
- If soup gets too thick for your liking, add a splash of chicken broth or cream to loosen it up.
- Serve hot with additional black pepper and shredded cheese on top if desired.
- Soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, Not good for freezing.
9 thoughts on “Keto Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup 6g Net Carbs”
Do you use fresh or frozen Broccoli? And if frozen do I cook it first? First time soup cooker here lol.
Hi Shawnta. I use fresh but you can definitely use frozen! There’s no need of thawing or pre cooking. Thank you for trying my recipe and I hope you enjoy it.
Yum! Made this for dinner last night and it was delicious! The only change I made was to add a cup of hot broth to the xantham gum and blend it and then add that thickened broth back to the pot because I know xantham gum can be tricky and I didn’t want to waste an entire pot of soup if it gummed up too quickly. My husband didn’t like the texture at first so I added in an extra cup of broth and it was perfect! Oh, he also added cubed ham to his bowl because he needs the extra protein but agreed that it was delicious either way!
Thank you for trying my recipe and sharing your experience. I’m so glad you and your husband enjoyed it!
When do you add the cream? It’s not in the instructions. Only the ingredients.
Updated! You add it right before adding the xanthan gum 😊
This looks delicious. Do you think this could be cooked in a crock pot instead?