Breakfast can get boring. Same old eggs, sausage and bacon. But not if you jazz it up a bit with some of the simplest ingredients that most of us already have available.
Menemen is basically Turkish version of shakshuka. Or kind of scrambled eggs, but so much more. I am using Sujuk, a Turkish sausage and pastrima, which is cured beef. You can always substitute these two ingredients with any sausage of your choice and prosciutto. You can also make It without the sausage and prosciutto but of course it tastes better with them.
I do not usually have to add any salt to my Menemen because there’s enough salt in the sausage, pastrima, and cheese but please adjust the salt to your liking.
You can enjoy this delicious breakfast recipe with any bread of your choice or you can click on the link below for an easy keto bread recipe.
Keto Turkish Menemen
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-2 green & red pepper thinly sliced. Substitute (bell pepper for mild)
- 2 medium grated tomatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz Sucuk or sausage
- 2 slices Turkish pastrima or prosciutto
- 4 oz Gouda cheese divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes optional
- salt to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan on low heat. Add the thinly sliced green pepper and cook for a few minutes until they’re lightly browned.
- Add the peeled and grated tomatoes, and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender.
- Cut the sausage and pastrima (prosciutto) into small pieces and add to the pan & cook for a minute.
- Add one ounce of the cheese and let it melt.
- Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and mix.
- Top with the rest of the of cheese and pepper flakes. Cover and cook on low heat until the cheese gets bubbly and melted.
- Serve with your favorite Keto bread. You can also use this easy keto bread recipe to bake your own crusty bread that goes really well with this dish.