I call this my Smack Chicken because this recipe is literally a smack of flavor. We all have those days when we feel lazy and just pick up a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. I don’t know about you but 90% of the time I end up regretting my decision because the chicken is bland and dry.
I come from a Pakistani background and we eat spicy food. In fact I’m a spice fanatic but I have kids who aren’t too crazy for the kind of spice I prefer. So I lessen the spice while still keeping the flavor in a lot of the recipes.
This recipe is just a mixture of spices and fresh ingredients we have in our homes almost all the times. It makes such a delicious chicken that I call it “smack chicken” just because it’s a smack of flavor.
Keto Smack Chicken
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Himalayan salt to taste
- 1 whole chicken 4-5 lbs
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 1 sliced jalapeño remove seeds for milder flavor
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mint
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- add salt if needed
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, and all the spices in a bowl and set aside.
- Spatchcock the chicken (cut the backbone out) and save for broth.
- Spread some of the marinade on the backside of the chicken and place in a cast iron skillet.
- Using your fingers separate the skin from meat and add a little bit of marinade to breast and legs and thighs. Reserve 1-1 1/2 tablespoon of the marinade for later
- Massage the skin with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake at 400° F for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the chicken from the oven and brush the skin with reserved marinade.
- Put it back in the oven and cook for another 20-25 minutes
- Make the chutney by blending all the ingredients except the mayonnaise.
- Whisk the blended chutney in to the mayonnaise until smooth.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and rest a few minutes.
- Serve with your choice of salad or vegetables and the cilantro mint chutney.