I call this my Smack Chicken because this recipe is literally a smack of flavor. We all have those days when we feel lazy and just pick up a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. I don’t know about you but 90% of the time I end up regretting my decision because the chicken is bland and dry.
I come from a Pakistani background and we eat spicy food. In fact I’m a spice fanatic but I have kids who aren’t too crazy for the kind of spice I prefer. So I lessen the spice while still keeping the flavor in a lot of the recipes.
This recipe is just a mixture of spices and fresh ingredients we have in our homes almost all the times. It makes such a delicious chicken that I call it “smack chicken” just because it’s a smack of flavor.
Keto Smack Chicken
1g Net Carbs
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Himalayan salt to taste
- 1 whole chicken 4-5 lbs
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 1 sliced jalapeño remove seeds for milder flavor
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mint
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- add salt if needed
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, and all the spices in a bowl and set aside.
- Spatchcock the chicken (cut the backbone out) and save for broth.
- Spread some of the marinade on the backside of the chicken and place in a cast iron skillet.
- Using your fingers separate the skin from meat and add a little bit of marinade to breast and legs and thighs. Reserve 1-1 1/2 tablespoon of the marinade for later
- Massage the skin with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake at 400° F for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the chicken from the oven and brush the skin with reserved marinade.
- Put it back in the oven and cook for another 20-25 minutes
- Make the chutney by blending all the ingredients except the mayonnaise.
- Whisk the blended chutney in to the mayonnaise until smooth.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and rest a few minutes.
- Serve with your choice of salad or vegetables and the cilantro mint chutney.
Chutney is sauce usual made with yogurt, cilantro, mint, and some kind of chili pepper. I make it with mayonnaise so it’s keto friendly. You can also use sour cream. I don’t feel the need for adding salt if I use mayonnaise but taste and adjust salt to taste. This sauce has 6 servings. Calories: 135 Net Carbs: 0g All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered by MyFitnessPal. Nutritional values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but if exact calculations are required, user is advised to make their own calculations. Recipe author is not a nutritionist or dietician and recipes are not to be considered as any nutritional or medical advice. As with any diet, please consult your doctor before making changes to your diet.
Serving: 1ozFiber: 0.6gCalories: 410kcalFat: 10.9gProtein: 75.4gCarbohydrates: 1.9g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
3 thoughts on “Keto Smack Chicken With Cilantro Mint Chutney”
absolutely DELICIOUS! made this for my family tonight and everyone loved it. and the cilantro sauce is the perfect accompaniment. thanks mona!