This short ribs recipe is so easy and delicious. Not using flour and wine cuts the carbs in this recipe to super low. Beef stock and herbs add a ton of flavor. The end result is tender meat that falls off the bone and melts in your mouth. I like to serve it with mashed cauliflower. This recipe is enough to feed a crowd, a great family meal. It freezes really well. Leftovers can be frozen in freezer bags for up to two months and make a great takeaway lunch.
Keto Braised Short Ribs, Gluten Free
- 5 lbs beef short rib
- salt and pepper to season the ribs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups beef stock
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 4 sprigs thyme
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven and sear the ribs on all sides, in batches. 3-4 at a time so they don’t steam from over crowding the pot.
- Once all the ribs are seared, remove and discard the excess fat from the pot making sure to leave about a tablespoon.
- Add the onion,, bell pepper, & celery and sauté for about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue for one more minute. Mix in the tomato paste, mustard, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the beef stock and bring to a boil. Taste and add salt if needed. Sprinkle the xanthan gum and whisk vigorously. Add the short ribs, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the lid and add all the herbs, cover and bake in the oven for 3 hours.
- Once cooked discard excess fat and bay leaves. garnish with fresh herbs and serve with mashed cauliflower.