Sushi is one of those foods that you just can’t give up. It’s delicious and fairly healthy, but if you’re living the low carb or keto way of life those sushi rice Are a big no no. Now if you like raw fish, you’re in luck because you can totally have sashimi, but if you’re like me and don’t eat raw fish, then you gotta give this recipe a try. It’s so easy and so delicious. There’s absolutely no cooking required and they’re a pinch to make.
Since there’s no raw fish involved, this recipe also makes a great do ahead lunch. Prepare, tightly cover, and refrigerate overnight and enjoy it for lunch the next day. Also a perfect no cook recipe for hot summer days when you just don’t want to cook.
California rolls usually use imitation crab , which is very high in carbs. I cut the carbs by replacing the imitation crab with cooked shrimp.
For the Philadelphia rolls I use smoked salmon that’s easily available in the refrigerated section of most supermarkets and a great keto friendly ingredients to have on hand.
Keto Sushi, California And Philadelphia Rolls
- 2 English cucumbers use a peeler to make thin ribbons, discard the middle.
- 2 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 6-8 cooked shrimp cut in half
- half of an avocado
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2-3 slices green or red radish julienned
- 2-3 nori sheets cut into strips
- salmon roe optional, to garnish
- black and white sesame seeds to garnish
- pickled ginger wasabi, and coconut aminos or soy sauce to serve
- Cut the cucumbers into ribbons using a vegetable peeler. You won’t be using the whole cucumber, just a little after until you reach the seeds. More seedy parts are easily breakable.
- Cut the avocado into small pieces and julienne the radish slices.
- Cut the nori sheets into strips so they can fit into the cucumber ribbons.
- Arrange the smoked salmon, shrimp, cream cheese and the vegetables in a line.
- Lay one cucumber ribbon on a flat surface, layer on the nori strip followed by smoked salmon, cream cheese and avocado and roll into Keto Philadelphia rolls. Do the same with the rest of the ingredients.
- Lay one cucumber ribbon on a flat surface, layer on the nori strip followed by the shrimp, avocado and julienned radish and roll into keto California rolls.
- Do the same with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut the sushi rolls into half. You don’t have to cut them but cutting them makes them the perfect bite size. They also look neater and more sushi like.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds or roe and serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and coconut aminos or soy sauce.