Shish kebabs are a family meal at my house. Everyone loves them. I feel like there’s something about food on a stick that just screams party.
Dressing up an ordinary cheap cut of steak and marinating for a long time, makes it so flavorful and tender. If you don’t have time to marinate for longer time, you can use a more expensive cut of beef, ie ribeye steak. You can also make this recipe using chicken. A delicious and nutritious way to entertain your family on your next barbecue.
Authentic Shish Kebab
INGREDIENTS FOR KEBABS:
- 1/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes optional use red pepper flakes as replacement
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 lbs beef chuck steak Cubed chuck must be marinated at least 24 hours use ribeye steak if you don’t have enough time to marinade.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients together to make the sauce. Add water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use
- Whisk all the Marinade ingredients together to make a paste.
- Add the meat and coat well with the marinade.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 24 and 48 hours maximum.
- Fire up your grill and thread the meat on skewers.
- Cook on the flame turning frequently, making sure to get a char but not to overcook the meat.
- Serve with your favorite grilled vegetables, salad, flat bread, and the sauce.
- Grilling can be done on any kind of grill, with or without skewers. Use a tender cut of meat or chicken if you don’t have time to marinate for 24-48 hours.