Sweet and sour chicken needs no introduction. It’s one of the most eaten lunch from Chinese takeout and it’s so so delicious. The problem with it though is that it’s one dish that’s so high in carbs and sugar that Anyone following the keto way of life won’t ever order it again.
Too many restrictions for me can mean cheating. I for one believe that, cheating on your diet is like cheating on your relationship. . IT JUST DOES NOT WORK!! So I’m on the mission to “ketofy” everything that I used to enjoy eating and still live my best keto life. Well not everything but a lot of things.
Keto Sweet And Sour Chicken
2g Net Carbs
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sweetener of choice
- 4 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- coconut oil for frying
- sesame seeds and scallions for garnish
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil for frying Make sure to do this before moving onto the chicken.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add one beaten egg white and coat the chicken. Add 3/4 tablespoon baking powder and mix. Fry the chicken immediately till very lightly browned. Fry the chicken for a second time until it’s deep golden brown. Double frying insures crispy chicken.
- Add the sauce in a larger pan and bring it up to a boil, just to cook the garlic. Add the chicken into the sauce and cook for about two to three minutes, until the chicken gets coated in the sauce. Garnish with scallion and sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately with cauliflower rice.
This recipe can be a little bit tricky because we use baking powder for the “breading”. You must fry the chicken as soon as possible once you add the baking powder so I suggest getting the oil hot first. You also want to do this in batches. I like to use the double fry method to get the chicken crispy. On the first fry, lightly brown the chicken and remove. Follow with the rest of the chicken. Once all the chicken is fried, retry till deep golden brown and crispy. All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered by MyFitnessPal. Nutritional values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but if exact calculations are required, user is advised to make their own calculations. Recipe author is not a nutritionist or dietician and recipes are not to be considered as any nutritional or medical advice. As with any diet, please consult your doctor before making changes to your diet.
Serving: 1/4Sugar: 1gFiber: 0.5gCalories: 400kcalFat: 33.4gProtein: 20gCarbohydrates: 2.5g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
8 thoughts on “Keto Sweet & Sour Chicken”
Made this last night, so easy and very tasty
Amazing recipe! Tasted just like it would have if I ordered from the local Chinese spot!
Rating this 5 stars based on my husband’s reaction! He said it was almost an exact replica of the carb heavy version!
For me personally it was way too sweet but I’d never had sweet and sour chicken before. Not sure how I’ll adapt it for next time for me but I know I’ll be making it again for him so I’ll be able to test it out!
I also didn’t do the double fry method but only because I didn’t quite understand it so I’ll research that before next time, too!
Thank you guys again for trying my recipe. You can use less sweetener next time if you found it too sweet. The double fry method ensures crispness. Especially for something that’s getting coated in sauce.
I think it was just that I had never had sweet and sour chicken before so I didn’t know what to expect but he said it was perfect and at his request I’m making it again tonight! I’m going to try the double fry method tonight, too. 😊
Nice, thank you for your love and I really appreciate you sharing your experience!
Hello, sounds like an amazing recipe! Any sweetener you’d recommend? I’m trying to figure out which type would be best? Brown lankanto or keto honey??
Hi, I have links on the original recipe for recommendations. Hope you enjoy this recipe.