Sweet and sour chicken needs no introduction. It’s one of the most eaten lunch from Chinese takeout and it’s so so delicious. The problem with it though is that it’s one dish that’s so high in carbs and sugar that Anyone following the keto way of life won’t ever order it again.
Too many restrictions for me can mean cheating. I for one believe that, cheating on your diet is like cheating on your relationship. . IT JUST DOES NOT WORK!! So I’m on the mission to “ketofy” everything that I used to enjoy eating and still live my best keto life. Well not everything but a lot of things.
Keto Sweet And Sour Chicken
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sweetener of choice
- 4 tablespoons sugar free ketchup
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- coconut oil for frying
- sesame seeds and scallions for garnish
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil for frying Make sure to do this before moving onto the chicken.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add one beaten egg white and coat the chicken. Add 3/4 tablespoon baking powder and mix. Fry the chicken immediately till very lightly browned. Fry the chicken for a second time until it’s deep golden brown. Double frying insures crispy chicken.
- Add the sauce in a larger pan and bring it up to a boil, just to cook the garlic. Add the chicken into the sauce and cook for about two to three minutes, until the chicken gets coated in the sauce. Garnish with scallion and sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately with cauliflower rice.