Nothing is more comforting than Southern food. Literally every single thing is SO good – fried chicken, mac and cheese, biscuits, mashed potatoes, jambalaya, beans, rice and my favorite dessert – hummingbird cake (currently working on ketofying pineapple and bananas lol).
Now as you read through that short list of delicious food, you probably realized one thing they all have in common – HIGH CARBS! Yes my friends, it’s because of the high carbs, we have to give up comforting Southern food… except not anymore! Well, at least not everything – we can ketofy a lot of things by swapping out the higher carb ingredients with low carb alternatives. That’s how I came to the ever so delicious and comforting southern smothered chicken. The tender chicken, the delicious gravy… my mouth waters just thinking about it.
BUT (yes, of course, there’s a big but here) just like any other comfort food, its full of high carbs and our bodies are wired to believe that that’s what makes it comforting. Well, not today my friends, because I have tweaked this classic recipe & made it super low carb, while keeping really delicious & guilt free. That’s my goal, to keep the flavor & kick the carbs. I like using chicken thighs with skin but you can use any cut as long as it has skin.
This version of smothered chicken doesn’t get dredged in flour but the skin still gets crispy golden, no roux but we still get a delicious gravy that goes well with both cauliflower mash and cauliflower rice. The chicken comes out fall-off-the-bone tender, and the gravy is to die for. I do use onion for the gravy because it makes the best gravy but you can totally skip the small amount of onion if you’re strict keto. As always, you’re welcome to use less or more of paprika and chili flakes to your taste. I’m a spice fanatic so once you get to know me, you’ll see there’s always more room for spice on my plate. I really hope you make and enjoy this chicken recipe. I’d love to hear your thoughts and experience.
Keto Smothered Chicken
INGREDIENTS FOR SPICE MIX:
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- pink salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR GRAVY:
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN:
- 6-8 small chicken thighs with skin
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- parsley for garnish
- chives for garnish
- Mix all the ingredients in the spice mix section to make the rub.
- Season the the chicken thighs on both sides.
- Heat up a cast iron or any oven-proof wide skillet and add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil.
- Place the chicken thighs into the hot pan, skin side down.
- Sear the chicken on both sides until they become golden brown & remove from the pan.
- Get rid of any fat left in the pan and melt the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the 1/2 chopped onion. Sauté the onion on low heat until translucent.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté for another minute. Now add the 2 cups of chicken broth & xanthan gum. Stir constantly because xanthan gum tends to clump up real fast.
- Once this comes to a boil, stir in the heavy cream. Add the chicken back in the pan & cover with foil.
- Bake at 400° F for one hour.
- Remove from oven & garnish with chopped parsley & chives.
- Serve with Cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice. There you have it my friends, the most tender, delicious & irresistible comfort food.
2 thoughts on “Keto Southern Smothered Chicken”
Loved this recipe! Cooked it as a nice dinner for my parents, husband and kids and everyone loved it! They were pracfically drooling over the chicken watching ot cooknin the cast iron skillet but all said it was worth the wait once it came out of the oven. I didn’t have it cook in the oven quite as long because I cooked it stovetop probaby longer than I should have. Cane out juicy and the gravy and was delicious. Will definitely make again!
So glad you & your family enjoyed it. Thank you and please make sure to follow me so you don’t miss any new recipes.