Ahhh the ever delicious, sweet & savory, tender Mongolian beef. It’s one of those things that I just cannot resist. So of course I had to kick the carbs and make it fit my macros. Note that I use half a tablespoon of arrowroot starch in this recipe. The reason for that is to make the beef velvety. The amount for the whole recipe is so small that it doesn’t make the carb count go any higher. You can skip it if you are very strict. I developed this recipe recently and the results are a really velvety, glossy & tender savory beef. Oh did I mention super delicious with none of the guilt? Yes my friends, you can enjoy delicious Asian food and never feel deprived.
I also mentioned low sodium chicken broth because between the aminos and broth, sauce may become too salty. I make my own broth without salt for using in Asian recipes because I want that nice brown color from using the coconut aminos or soy sauce. So give this Asian favorite a try with cauliflower rice. I do hope you enjoy it and keto on!
Keto Mongolian Beef
INGREDIENTS FOR STIR FRY:
- 1 lb beef steak any cut
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- small piece ginger finely chopped
- 2 dried red chilies sliced (leave whole for milder flavor)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 6 scallions cut into 1.5 inches pieces
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINADE:
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 /2 tablespoon arrowroot starch optional, you can skip it if you’re very strict but it’s such a small amount that the net carbs come to less than 2 g per serving. It makes the beef very tender and glossy.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons sweetener
- Very thinly slice the beef steak against the grain to keep the beef tender.
- Mix the marinade ingredients with beef, mix well and set aside.
- Mix the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat. Add the beef and cook the beef undisturbed for a minute to get a nice color on one side. Then stir fry for no more than a minute just to get the beef cooked. Over cooking will result in tough & chewy meat.
- Transfer to a large plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to the same hot pan and add the dried chilies, chopped garlic & ginger. Stir Fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil until the sauce thickens.
- Add the beef back into the pan along with the cut scallions and toss until combined. Serve with cauliflower rice immediately.